Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Ever had an injury or crash that made you consider quitting?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
BurtonAvenger
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krug View Post
Can you expound on the heart restarted...call me sick, but I'm guessing there is a good story behind this one...

Krug
Ruptured spleen February 25 2002. Without having to write the bible of this story it went like this. Got a little crooked in the pipe and came down hard on my feet trying to avoid killing myself and got a pinch tear in my spleen. It spent 2.5 weeks filling with blood and clotted while I had no symptoms of internal bleeding just had a limp on the left side of my body and pain over there which was masking the real injury on the right side.

My spleen was the size of a football when it finally ruptured spewing out all that blood that had been pooling in there all over inside me. After being air lifted in for emergency trauma surgery, I guess somewhere in the middle of my 9.5 hours of trauma surgery they had to restart my heart cause I had bleed out. I had 9 units of blood put in me and the head of trauma surgery said the only reason they allowed that was because of my age otherwise they would have let me die. Just a gnarly accident that probably would have either killed anyone else or ended their snowboarding career at least, I was back on a board within 8 months and relearning all the muscle memory associated with it.