Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - How to go fast without catching edges?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
chomps1211
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiziks View Post
...the faster you go, the worse it is to flat base because then you don't have as much control over your board. It starts to shift and get all squirrel-y under you.

A good thing to practice this season would be to start always staying on an edge as you pick up speed and start making your carves as straight down slope as possible. Once you get comfortable with that start bringing your board back down closer to flat base but always keep pressure on 1 edge at all times,..
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmate View Post
Mmmm dunno if I agree. I have flat based at massive speeds. It's about keeping your weight over your front foot and your shoulders in line with the board,..
Correct me if I'm misinformed about this, but the snow conditions will make a world of difference in how squirely "flat basing" feels as well won't they? I mean on gouged & cut up hard pack or icy groomers, you've got more (...features?) looking to snag or engage your edges without your consent, right? So any lapse in concentration or technique can result in punishment! Plus, when riding flat based on hard pack like that, unless you are pressuring an edge, the running edges of the board are not really in contact with anything to help stabilize your tracking? Is this an accurate assessment?

The few times I've been able to ride in a couple inches of "Fresh",.. where the running length of the board was actually "In" the snow,.. riding flat seemed much more stable & controlled, and not just when bombing straight out!! (...bombing being a relative term for a NooB like me!)

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!

Last edited by chomps1211; 12-19-2012 at 05:31 AM.
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote