Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - backside jibs
Thread: backside jibs
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
sheepstealer

Default backside jibs

This one's for all you park rats out there...

I coach a group of younger kids on the weekends (all guys) ages 11 - 14. Most all are dead set on being the next Shaun White and so we spend a lot of time in the park.

Their ability level is all about the same, with a few kids that are definitely better than the others, which is to be expected, but for the most part they all keep up and push one another, which is cool.

This past weekend we were working on boarslide to fakies, lipslides, etc. These are smaller rails, good for beginners. I'm too lazy to post pictures, so I'll explain best I can. They were doing boarslides facing downhill, so boardsliding down the rail facing forward.

Obviously, one of the next steps of progression is to go backside (I realize the terminology might not be spot on here and the correct name of the trick is dependant on the approach to the rail but bear with me here), jibbing the rail with their back facing downhill. This manuver is definitely more intimidating, as its harder to see your exit off the rail, even more so keep the board flat based so you don't intuitively lean forward, slip out and break teeth.

I can do them myself but I've only gotten to that point after years of practice and riding on my own - I was never coached this.

My question is: how do I explain this trick to them, and get them to do it, safely? Moreover (and this part is for myself a little too) is how do you orient your upper and lower body so your're not just staring at your feet when you slide down the rail. All the pros really turn their shoulder opposite to the torque of their lower body so they're looking DOWN the rail. I have a problem with this, and I catch myself simply staring at my feet and not looking around my shoulder or underneath my armpit.

Any tips? (And kudos for reading all this too!)
sheepstealer is offline   Reply With Quote