Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - stupid question?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
backstop13
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
Thank you all so much.

I was wanting to ski originally...but with the boot issue (plus the fact that my husband got sooooo excited when I mentioned I might try snowboarding) I decided to go ahead and try snowboarding this year. Honestly I only chose to try to ski first because it looks easier.

One of the bootfitters really did try to get me into a boot. He was really nice and really seemed to want to help. I think the problem might also be that my leg does not taper a whole lot toward the ankle either. I dont know. But I agree that there has to be some sort of a solution...dont know if it was just being lazy or just not knowing what to do.

I found a pair of used womens Burton boots on Craigslist last night for only $10. So my husband is going to pick them up for me today and I will do my experimenting on those. No point in buying nice new boots to mess with until I am sure that I can make this work.

I was blessed with crazy big muscles in my legs...plus I still have a lot of weight left to lose. I started at 350 pounds back in August. I am down under 240 now. My weight gain WAS my fault. I ate to much and didnt get any movement in. I am still working my behind off to get rid of the rest of my weight, and it is not easy. But it is sooooo worth it. I couldnt even walk from my house to the car without getting winded before. I couldnt get from the car to the ski resort without taking several breaks. Now I can walk for miles and am actually excited about being active.

Thank you all so much for the advice, encouragement, and for just being so nice. My husband was sure I was going to get some mean weight related comments when I posted about this online, I am happy he was wrong. There was another forum where a girl asked about boots for large legs and was told that no one wants to see fatties up at the ski resort. Glad I came here instead.
well typically we're all a bunch of assholes, so I don't know how you ended up with nice encouragement

in all seriousness, props to you for working towards your goal. It only gets easier...once you start getting even more active and see the changes you'll get even more jacked up about staying fit. It's a good cycle to be in for sure.

I think grabbing some boots for cheap was a great idea. Be aware though, that if you continue to lose weight you're going to have to get new boards on top of better fitting clothes. That's a good problem to have though
backstop13 is offline   Reply With Quote