Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - First day with a Never Summer Evo... stiff?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Hey I didn't know you've been on Doneks and Priors before... What were your thoughts on them? The GF is looking to get a more freeride oriented board now that our riding is 50%+ of the time in the off-piste. She's looking at the Donek Incline (they'll make one in the exact size she needs), and the Prior Brandywine, among other things (Nidecker Princess, Arbor Push).

I'm just stoked she is getting to the point that she wants a stiffer, longer freeride board!
The Donek Incline that I rode in 2004 (155cm model made for 140 lb rider) was *very* stiff... compared to boards people like to talk about now on a scale of 1 to 10, it was like a 12. Traditional camber, lively (not very damp) and rather narrow. It railed a carve extremely well, but wasn't particularly forgiving in icy, cruddy frozen snow (I could feel it crash through every chunk of snow). The narrow profile really made it sink in powder and the stiff flex made it hard to swing in trees... you should check with Sean Martin to see if he has modified the design in the last 8-9 years (he is the guy making the board and usually the person you will talk to when making an order). To me, that board is for high speed carving down smooth groomers, which are common in Colorado resorts. I liked the Phoenix model, which is a much more moderate flex (somewhat like a Never Summer SL).

I rode a few priors... including the AMF, MFR, and Khyber. They were much more damp, so you got a Cadillac SUV smooth ride over variable snow conditions of snow, slush, icy, frozen crud (which is common in Whistler). Good edge hold. A little lacking in pop though. They have both style of camber (I have only ridden their traditional camber boards).

For both I would see if you could demo a board.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote