Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Would skiing help my snowboarding

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  tonyisnowhere 
#1 ·
Ok crazy dumb question. I am progressing on snowboarding and have made it my focus. But I have a chance to try skiing (haven't done it since I was 5). Would there be any benefit to my snowboard riding...prob not since I get the concept of edge control but just curious what you all have to say.

#8 ·
I think you'll find contention on this point but IMO I think doing one will definitely help the other.

I was skiing for six or seven years until I switched over to snowboarding when I was 12 years old. Haven't looked back since.

I was a little ripper on my skis and I can honestly say that skiing most definitely helped me learn how to ride better. Balance and edge control if anything.

#9 ·
I don't think you're really answering the OP's question. I totally agree with you that doing one first (either one) will make it easier to learn the other afterwards. But the OP seems to be asking about learning both or doing both at the same time, and whether that will help either one.

I don't think it will personally. Time spent skiing is time not spent snowboarding. Yes, time spent skiing is still time spent learning how to handle lifts, edges, types of snow, etc, but you won't learn the "common" stuff any faster than you would on a snowboard.

I do think it's a good idea to know how to do both, but there's no speed-of-learning advantage.

#12 ·
knowing how to skii with a 12 year break before I learned to snowboard. The only thing that I thought was good was I knew how to use the chair properly, riding etiquette and the fundamentals of how a board/edges make you turn

#20 ·
You got to try a freebord. It is the closest thing to snowboarding on pavement. It is just awesome but if you fall it hurts lots more than snow and even ice:dizzy:

Honestly if it wasn't for longboarding and freebording I would never have gotten to the point I am at so fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.