Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - New to PNW from colder climates, questions about gear/layering/waterproofing
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default New to PNW from colder climates, questions about gear/layering/waterproofing

This is my first season going to the mountains in the PNW (Seattle). I'm used to going in the canadian rockies (Louise, Fortress, Sunshine). Out there, if you didn't buy well-insulated gear, you're gonna freeze going up the lifts and have a bad time.

All of the local shops seem to have surprisingly light gear, but a lot of gore-tex shells. Talking to a few people, it sounds like you're more likely to get soaked after a day on the slopes at any resort around here, and not likely to get cold (other than from being wet).

I'm not sure what waterproof rating to shoot for - what is consensus around here? And is no insulation on pants really sufficient, or is it worth looking for something lightly insulated?

I was thinking of some gore-tex pants and gloves, but figured waterproofing on a jacket was less important, so I'd just keep my existing one.

Is gore-tex necessary for these items, or would something like 15kmm on pants be just as good for what a day of snowboarding is exposed to?

Being that I'm in Seattle, I'm probably going to be spending most of my time at Crystal, Snoqualmie, Stevens. I hear Baker is great, but a little far.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote