Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Over-turning on the heel side
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Slush Puppie

One particular thing you should notice it that when you are really being dynamic that feeling of "oh shit I have to point the the board down that hill" almost goes away. The mechanics of the leg extension mean that by the time your body starts to pick up vertical speed during the turn, the board has already made the turn and all you have to do is slow yourself down by compressing your legs and arresting the body's vertical motion. Even when initiating the first turn on the steeps, crunch right down and 'stand up' as you start to turn. It feels like this very motion initiates the turn positively. The turn will be done in a flash and you will be in control at all times. It's a great feeling and steep no longer feels steep once you get it.

The photo i linked to earlier is around 45deg (probably 55 at the very top) no more than a few meters wide. I rode that at about 30days experience. And felt confident and controlled the whole way down using this technique. Hopefully this is actually visible in the reasonably tidy line. Let me tell you, getting first tracks (for the season) down somewhere like this at my level of experience was a mind-blowing experience
Slush Puppie is offline   Reply With Quote