Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Heelside carving problem!?!
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Talking Heelside carving problem!?!

Well I had a great day out carving yesterday on hardpack that had a light dusting of snow on top of it. Here's my problem... and keep in mind I've been carving for 21 years but I'm on a new board now that's allowing me to get that much closer to the snow!

Board is almost brand new with 5 days on it: On my toe side I can lay right down and the board digs a trench, I end up carving a fairly short radius deep turn. Then I get on on my heelside and try to lay down an equal carve and I start getting chatter instead of the board digging a trench.

I've never felt this before so my solution yesterday was to carve wider turns on my heelside, but I tried several times to get the heelside to really bite, and on the steep stuff it always ended up getting chattery.

Thoughts?

1) I'm still riding symmetrical duck and was thinking about going to a more modified duck stance for this board.

2) I tried weight control both on the nose and tail and didn't notice much of a different.

3) The other thing I was thinking was that on my toe side there's no stiff highback transferring loads to my ankles, so the softness of the boots may act as a small suspension and allow the board to bite without overbiting and becoming chattery? Maybe if I dial less lean into the highback it'll allow the boots to do their thing before the highback has to take over?

poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote