My GF's sister and her fiance are Pro-Am wakeboarders. They go out to the lake/river every weekend and always invite us. Starting about 3 weeks ago we said "okay, we'll go." SUCH A BLAST!
I'm new to wakeboarding and so is my GF, here are some tips we got from her sister and her fiance.
1. Ball up when you're in the water. Pretty much, put your heels to your butt, knees to your chest.
2. Put your arms AROUND your knees, not between them.
3. When the boat pulls you, keep your arms loose but your hands tight.
4. Don't be afraid of the board going under water initially...its supposed to! It'll come right back up.
5. Sit in a ball for a about 2-4 seconds, then stand up.
6. Don't be afraid to put weight over the nose of your board.
7. Keep your knees relaxed.
8. Chest up.
9. Handle to your hip.
If you feel like the boat is just dragging you and you're fighting the boat, then your arms are not relaxed and you are leaning back to far. Let the board go down into the water, if you're doing it right...the board will resurface in 1 second.
Coming from a fellow new wakeboarder, I hope this helps. With these tips I was able to get up on my first day on my 3rd attempt. My GF got up on her first day 1st attempt. She has never failed to get up. Its easier for girls to get up because they don't fight the boat. Guys tend to resist and fight back. RELAX!