Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Need carving help (video of me riding)
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
aiidoneus
Resident Snowman

It is difficult to see everything that is going on. The main parts where we get to see you, it is really only the board. However, it is very obvious from there that right now you are getting very little edge angle. That mixed with the video of your legs shows that you are not bending your knees much.

The good news is it doesn't look like you are riding open, in other words you shoulders and body look to be in line with the board.

I could be wrong here, and I am only going from what I saw in the video (Snowolf will probably correct me). But it looks like you have very little edge angle for even skidded turns. Before working on carving it might be helpful to work on producing more edge angle with inclination. The means how much you lean the body in the turn. The next step would be bring more angulation into the turn.

Without a solid edge angle, carving just isn't possible. Some tactics I have used to help with edge angle:

Hockey Stop - Hop

On terrain you are comfortable with, side slip down the hill on your heel side to start. Stop hard by flexing your lower joints. After you come to a stop, get your balance and hop 3 times. This helps develop a solid edge angle, and balance on the edge. Repeat with the toeside edge.

Pour Water From Boots

Imagine your boots are filled with water. As you begin each turn, try and start to empty the water out by pouring it from the top of the boot. Near the end of the turn slowly stop pouring it out. Toeside, try and pour it from the front. Heelside, from the back.

A fun challenge:

Sponsor Turns

Imagine that along the sides of the run are a bunch of spectators. You just got a sic contract to sponsor Never Summer boards. With each turn, your goal is to show off the bottom of your board.

Last edited by aiidoneus; 12-24-2012 at 03:03 PM.
aiidoneus is offline   Reply With Quote