Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Woes of a Noob... TLDR
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
As it is now I am only comfortable on my toe edge and my basic skidded turns aren't keeping my speed under control. I'm braking too hard on my heel and skidding out every time I hit a steeper section. That, or sideslipping until my thighs are on fire.
That video's not bad, that's a good way to get down steeper terrain and keep your speed in check. If you're current turns aren't controlling your speed enough, you need to work on completing the turn. In other words stay in the turn longer until you're moving perpendicular to the slope, then start your next turn and do the same thing. As a noob you shouldn't really work on linking turns yet, work on each aspect and you need a second to think about what worked and what didn't in the last turn. So turn heelside, and turn enough that all your downward progress stops, then think about your toeside turn, execute it, and again turn enough that you're going completely perpendicular to the slope.

I'm hoping you went and complained to the resort about your instructor. How can the resort fix a problem they don't know about? My GF has had about 5 lessons now over the years and each one has brought her past the next plateau...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote