Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Woes of a Noob... TLDR
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #23 (permalink)
seriouscat
Rides Caturdayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Just watched essentially the exact same pivot technique in the SA intermediate vid. Can't stand on my ankle and twist like that yet, but hoping for boxing day to give it another try. I think I'll practice pivot turns on the bunny hill a few times to get more comfortable and then head back up the mountain.

I'll practice dropping low to un-weight my board while pivoting on my front foot to make really quick skidded turns without having to traverse as far or have the speed to do something more "dynamic" or flowing. It seems like the next logical step given the terrain I have to contend with and my resources as far as learning go.
Dude why worry about down unweighting/dynamic movement at this stage? I can tell you first hand trying dynamic turns without properly linking basic turns first just resulted me going really fast without any control. You have to speed check at that point. Down un-weighting is also not an intuitive concept that requires a lot of muscle memory to execute. There's too many steps to do in too little time if you have to think about the all the steps from start to finish.

If you really want to try for a little more dynamic control, CASI lessons taught using your shoulders slightly to initiate the turn, and anticipate the next turn by rotating your shoulder slightly for next turn before you start the turn movement.

Also Keep an open mind. Even the lv.1 instructors are much better than you at snowboarding. Maybe they just don't have the correct teaching/communication style for you. (Teaching and boarding abilities are not mutually inclusive.) Somethings didn't make sense to me either during the lessons, but just going thru the motions have always helped me with my form. I got more out of a better instructor obviously, but I have never gone away with nothing at all.

Last edited by seriouscat; 12-25-2012 at 11:07 AM.
seriouscat is online now   Reply With Quote