Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Set-up/Riding Advice: New Rome Garage Rocker
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
chomps1211
Not quite reformed yet

Default Set-up/Riding Advice: New Rome Garage Rocker

My new board should be here tomorrow or Thurs. & since this will only be the second board I've owned I could use some feedback on how I plan to set it up and getting used to riding it without killing myself!

I have only ridden my cambered Arbor Roundhouse-163W, directional twin. (I have learned to ride switch ...granted it's slow & cautiously on this board.)
I have it rigged with L 2011 Cartel bindings with the straps switched out for Med. ones. +18_-12 angles. 32 ST boa boots-(slightly packed out.) in 10.5.
I have also managed my last two times out to get into & hold a few regular & switch tail presses along with some pressed front & backside spins/turns using this board (...the switch tail press are easier because of the longer nose on this board!)

The New Rome GR board is a twin rocker, 159cm (not a wide) I will be using the Med. Cartel bindings on it. Thinking about starting it off with 15-15 on the bindings. My thought is those angles might be better for riding switch and working on my butters & presses?

I have a New pair of Salomon Faction Boa's, that I've only used twice! I was thinking of getting rid of them as I didn't like the way they rode on my Arbor. They fit great, but they seem a LOT stiffer than my 32's and they have no lean in them. Unless I'm on a steeper slope, I cannot stand up from a sitting position wearing these boots as I can't get my weight & knees forward enough to leverage my way into standing.

But now I'm thinking It might be an advantage to use a stiffer, straighter boot with a rockered board? (...or is the opposite of that preferable?) I don't plan on going into the park with this board! Also, I wasn't planning on starting with much, if any fwd lean to the HB on this set-up. Not really sure about that, but I'll try them anyway.

My biggest concern is that I have been told there will be NO overlap with the riding experience of my Arbor. I pretty much knew it would ride very different, but going from a Wide Cambered board, to a ("normal?") width rocker deck,..

...What am I likely to notice as far as the differences between them in performance regarding things like turn initiation, Holding a line in tighter turns, or on steeps? Especially since I'm going from a Wide to reg. width board.
I imagined that the transition from heel to toe would be much quicker on the reg. width board, and I could possibly get surprised by that,.. (read, Face Plant!) but then again it's a rocker. So the boards contact points are slightly raised and wouldn't tend to initiate turns using the same amount of movement in my legs and knees,.. right??

Are my turns likely to feel,.. slow? ...delayed? I'm thinking it will be analogous to going from "disk brakes" to "air brakes" With air brakes on a big rig, you hit the pedal, and there is a 1-2 sec. delay in any response from the brakes! (...this can be quite unnerving the first few times you experience this!!)

Thanks for bearing with the length of this post. I know ultimately, I'm going to have to Ride It to really know how it's going to feel & react! But I would like to go into it as forewarned & prepared as I can, even if only mentally! (...biffing when I was put-putting along on greens @ only 15-18 mph was one thing, but I'm riding faster & steeper nowadays) TIA!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is online now   Reply With Quote