Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Need carving help (video of me riding)
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
aiidoneus
Resident Snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
This has been mentioned at least a few times in the forum and I think I understand what it is all about. I don't have any problems agreeing with that.

But do we have to examine the snow trails to see if a thin line was really left behind, before we define a ride as "carving" or just some linked turns? Or can we already tell by the body form and from the shear speed at which someone is allegedly "carving"?
The body position and movements are more important than the actual line left behind. Regardless of the line, a balanced position, proper timing and coordination and solid edging skills will result in a much more stable, and IMHO fun ride.

For me, looking back at my line while riding the lift (assuming you can see it, and it is actually your line) really helps tell you what you are doing right and doing wrong. Seeing that on my toeside I have a nice clean pencil line shows me that I am working in the right direction.

Early on, I struggled with heelside turns. Looking at my line, I had a clean line on entry. But as the heelside carve progressed it began to widen and looked more like a skidded turn. At first I didn't know why, after talking to other riders and asking on the forum, I learned I was not shifting my weight aft as the turn completed and it was washing out.

If you just want to ride, no it really doesn't matter what you call it. So many people already call linking turns carving. If you want to progress, yes it matters. If you can't distinguish between the types, how can you ask questions. Skidded turns have their place, carving is just one technique of many.
aiidoneus is offline   Reply With Quote