Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Gopro mount advice
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
surfinsnow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
So I just got the gopro hero 3 silver and I've been thinking of how to mount it.

The helmet mount I don't like because of trees and somersaults.

The board mount is too low for powder days.

The chest strap is cool, but that would aim sideways.

I'm thinking a mid thigh mount would be best.

Anyone have any insight on this mount, pros or cons?

Any other suggestions welcome too.

Thanks and merry Christmas.
The reason why the helmet mount is the best is because the camera is generally looking where you're looking. On your thigh, you're going to see the mountain wildly whipping around as you make turns, or you'll just see the side as you slow down. You can always put a mount on your board and only use it when pow isn't deep, but snowboards tend to vibrate a lot, even stiff ones. The chest doesn't HAVE to look to the side...you can angle the camera, but again, you're going get seasick watching your vids, as you'll see every turn magnified. That's why most people where them on their helmets (sorry Torpedo, god of all things cool). You're more likely to record where you're actually going, not the moves your body is making.

The other option, of course, is to mount it on a pole. Won't help with the trees or somersaults, but you'll get an interesting perspective (I've never tried it, because I don't like having a long pointy thing in my hand as I'm bombing down the mountain.
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote