Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Woes of a Noob... TLDR
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #35 (permalink)
EatRideSleep
Veteran Member

Good points made by all who've said you might be over thinking things. This tends to happen when learning something new (physical) as an adult.

I teach adults in another sport - one that I've been doing since I was single digits - and find that it's SO much more difficult for adults to learn how to feel. Adults are way in their heads about it. Then the body can't respond to the activity as easily. Frustration ensues.

Get out of your head and allow your body to feel. Then afterwards, you can link the knowledge of your mind to what your body is sensing, to make sense of it all.

Maybe ride with music or do something to distract your brain. If you're already in shape, you may have more innate body wisdom than you realize. But your mind will block that if you let it.

I still get too much in my head when snowboarding, even though I learned as a teenager. When I find myself doing that, I shut down the mind chatter and just allow my body to feel. I ride so much better that way.

Hope that helps!

Oh and while Tiger Balm and ice are great, check out BioFreeze, too. Love that stuff.
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote