Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - NeverSummer SL? You Tell Me!
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatyak View Post
Iíve been riding for about 12-13 years. Started in 1999-2000ish. I can handle a variety of terrain. I am 90% riding around the mountain and 10% doing tricks off of natural features. I donít do the park anymore really Ė maybe a lap or two through it as I cruise around.

I am on the east coast and ride mainly hard packed snow .... man made snow (errr....ice), etc.. I do however take trips out west and when I do, I want to be able to ride the powder without struggling or nosediving. In fact I need a new board because I'm headed to Whistler in a few weeks.

Well the board I have had for a few years is a traditional camber Ė and thatís where my problem is.

Iíve always ridden a camber board Ė but I hit a rail at the end of last year and it broke the top sheet up off my board. Iíve read reviews where people had a hard time adjusting to camber/rocker/camber like Never Summer has. Iím just wondering what you think would be a good board for me?

I am 5'11 / 139 lbs, goofy stance.

I am seriously considering buying a NeverSummer SL. Is this the right board?

I want something that is:

Stable at high speed
Good on hard pack
Playful - because I do like to butter around while I ride, switch, press while riding, etc..
Good for powder (for trips out west) - no nosediving!

In short, I am more all mountain than just the terrain park. I like to hit natural features and be playful - all the while staying on runs. I don't know whether to go with the SL or the Proto or the Heritage or the Cobra... I don't care too much about graphics... obviously no pink fairies on the board... but the ride of the board is more important. I rather have a huge smile on my face as a graphic because the board rocks, versus some cool art photo on it.

Thank you!
I'm 5'9 150 lbs. I own the Proto 154 and the SL 155 and ride in Lake Tahoe. I say go with the SL 153 - it is noticeably more damp than the Proto. The blunted tips do give the Proto a tiny bit (1-2cm) more effective edge with respect to the overall running length - but it's about a 1-2% difference (compared to compared to something like the Virus FLP AFT which has like 15 cm more effective edge).

A 155 is fine as well - I was 140 lbs when I got my first SL 155 cm and I rode it in the park all the time. The difference are subtle (I prefer the 155 myself, but I like slightly longer boards).

A few clips of me riding the SL 155

Not the best technique, but you get an idea of the dampness and edgehold, it is more difficult to do this on the Proto

I'm at 0:48s

I'm not the best at boxes

Last edited by lonerider; 12-26-2012 at 07:45 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote