Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Short and to the Point
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
BurtonAvenger
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Nothing lasts forever, retail has been changing, adapting, evolving for decades. He complains a great deal about "showrooming", but doesn't mention what he's done to encourage the tire-kickers to buy at his store. He wails about where you've going to get a ladder strap replaced or a weld done. If there's enough demand, then it will probably be at a place that only does service.

I owned a retail place in another industry for 17 years. Product lines came and went, but margins just got tighter and tighter. Service was where the money was, but you had to have huge service accounts to make it. Eventually, in desperation, I tried a radical idea: I raised my retail prices but bundled the product with "free" service (you paid for parts, but labor was free). It worked for another 6 years, allowing me to survive my competition until the entire industry became obsolete.

Just once, I'd like to hear about a retail/resale store do something. Big Box stores and online shopping are here to stay, deal with it.
I full agree with you on this. My local shop in Breck (The Big Hit) has adapted to what's going on super well. You won't find Burton in there, you'll only find the big brands stuff that is harder to get. They carry the smaller brands, they demand exclusivity in the area, they price match in the county and will meet people half way most of the time for online. Plus they've made it a hub for the county and community.