Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Conflicted
Thread: Conflicted
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Efilnikufesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRideSleep View Post
Supraspinatus is a muscle. It's deep to the deltoid and has the action of raising your arm away from your body - which is why you felt a sharp pain when petting your dog. Don't attempt any jumping jacks.

A minor tear in (non-weight bearing) muscle is FAR better than a tear in other soft tissues like ligaments or tendons. Unless the chiro/doc was referring to the tendon of the supraspinatus?

Either way, rest it by avoiding its action. If it's a muscle tear, it'll heal faster. If tendon, take it easy and don't push it.

Topicals like BioFreeze and Arnica will help it along. Ice and heat, also, especially since it's been over 2 wks.

Edit: What I mean by take it easy and don't push it if it's the tendon - not saying you can't get out tomorrow. Just be cautious about it and careful not to push its action (like in a fall).

Oh. And I'm not a doctor but I do know a bit about this stuff.
Biofreeze and things like that are crap(sorry Eatridesleep, not trying to undermine!) Never put heat on it till the swelling is down. Heat will increase blood flow, but also increase swelling. Only heat to promote healing when swelling and pain has subsided.

Last edited by Efilnikufesin; 12-26-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote