Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Conflicted
Thread: Conflicted
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
EatRideSleep
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efilnikufesin View Post
Lol, was looking at two threads, mixie was in the other. But to add there is always swelling in that type of injury after two weeks, especially if it hasn't been attended to. Used to be a minor league pitcher and powerlifter as well and have seen and had more shoulder injuries than probably this whole site combined, well maybe.

Topical packs and rubs only provide temporary relief without actually doing anything to help the injury, real ice (with no buffer, just throw a bag of ice on) and anti inflammatories work much better.
Haha I thought maybe it was because all chick riders appear alike on the internet.

Good point about the presence of inflammation if not attended to in two weeks time. It also depends upon the degree. This is a minor tear according to the info. I was under the impression the OP did something, like rest it, considering he went to the doctor day-of. So, heat should be okay at this point. You don't want inflammation stagnating; heat and ice can help get it flushed. Heat at the initial stages can do damage so ice then is best.

With your background of pitching and powerlifting, I'm sure you've seen a lot of issues in the shoulders!

Yeah, I agree that most well known topicals like icy hot (which is crap imo) don't do anything. But the topicals I've tried and mentioned do work for me and others. But they're only one facet of the approach.

I love ice. Straight ice, like you said no buffer. I personally stay away from traditional NSAIDs and pain blockers, however. Pain is the body's version of a warning signal not to overuse/over injure.
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote