Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - NeverSummer SL? You Tell Me!
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #45 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatyak View Post
If the Cobra has the same dampness and flex of the SL - but with the added benefit of Carbonium and a better powder riding experience, isn't it then a SL board, with the benefits of Proto tips, and better powder?

Essentially it's an "SL +1"?

I get the feeling some are saying it's mainly a powder rider... 95% of my riding isn't in powder... so the SL or proto would be better... however if I can get a board that combines the two with some extra... it seems like a good choice?
It depends on what you were planning the to use the SL for. I got the SL as a park board that was pretty good on the slopes as well. Initial reviews of the Cobra make me think the Cobra is going to be better than the SL for what "most people" actually do on the SL... ride groomers, get some air off of natural features, butter a little on the flatter slopes, and ride powder.

I say "actually do" because a lot of people believe they need a twin board to do any type of freestyle tricks... just like people buy an SUV or a pickup truck imaging themselves to be some type of off-roading tough outdoors men... when in reality they are mostly driving to the office and buying groceries.

While I do think the Cobra will be miles better in powder than the Proto ... I laugh at the idea that the Cobra is mainly a powder riding board... boards like the Never Summer Summit, Burton Fish, Prior Khyber (all of which I've ridden) are true powder specific boards... the Cobra shape is just more powder friendly than your old-school true twin. The Proto is not "bad" in powder (virtually no modern board is "bad" in powder now a days)... but it is not particularly good in powder either.

Remember, I'm saying all of this even though the Proto is the board I rode most often last season... it's just that I was riding in the park most of the day. It wouldn't be the board I would grab for free riding with friends or on a powder day.

Last edited by lonerider; 12-27-2012 at 06:07 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote