Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Beginner Boarder can't find comfortable stance

8K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  mattybee 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all - I've been snowboarding probably 5-6 days total. I've rented snowboards each time and I finally went ahead and bought a burton snowboard with channels for bindings. It's been a few years since the last time i went so i don't remember the setup I had last time.

However...I can't find a comfortable stance. I know I'm "regular" stance (left foot forward) but no matter what +/- setup I do with my feet, my back knee always feels weird. It feels that my back foot (right foot) wants to lean forward. Right now I'm 20 degrees on my left foot and I've tried everything from 0 to -15 degrees on the back to positive degrees on the back. Each time my back right knee feels bad. It feels like my stance is too wide for my knees. So I tried to shorten the width of the stance and that didn't help much. I don't want to go too short on the width so I lose control of the board. It feels like I just need a half inch of lift on the right side of my right foot so the stress on my right knee goes away.

If i'm casually standing on the floor with shoes, it seems I need about 15 degrees on the front and -5 on the back.

any suggetions?

#2 ·
If i'm casually standing on the floor with shoes, it seems I need about 15 degrees on the front and -5 on the back.
What's your height and what size board did you buy? Did you setup the board to the reference stance width?

Generally reference stance width is a good starting point unless you're very tall or short relative to your weight, or if you bought a board that doesn't match your weight.

You said that on the floor 15/-5 was most comfortable but you then said you only tried 20/*... So why not try 15/-6 or so? That's actually a great starting stance for most noobs.

#4 ·
I'm 6'1" 185lbs and got a 159 burton process flying V.

I am at reference width now. I put it at what is comfortable when i'm just standing but as soon as I strap in, it feels weird on my right knee again. My right foot just wants to lift up on the right side of the foot...it just doesn't feel natural having my foot completely flat at that angle. however, i can't find an angle where flat is working for me.

#5 ·
wow I thought I was the only one with this prob. I too always find my knees bending inward even with the shortest possible stance width I can get. I guess I just get used to it.

#6 ·
Take your hand & make the "L" for Loser, cut a piece of foam the size of that triangle, if you connected the open side.

Make it @ least as thick as your thumb.

Place it on your binding, step on it, figure out where exactly & how thick you need it, then glue it there.

Mutha fuckin' old skool cants:eusa_clap::bowdown:

#11 ·
if i'm picturing this correctly (and i hope i am), your right knee is basically buckling in laterally when you strap in and ride, even when you have a very narrow stance? this could be a flexibility problem. quick check to find out:

set up in a squat stance with your toes pointing out (45 degrees is fine). your heels should be lined up with your shoulders, or a little less. keeping your back and neck straight, squat down until you're bottomed out. i'd say ass to grass but that's a different flexibility issue so get down as low as you can while keeping both feet flat. you can repeat it with your snowboard stance.

1. at that position, are your thighs at least parallel to the floor? if not, that's a huge flexibility issue right there that could be related. i'd focus on fixing that; it'll definitely help your long-term health outside of snowboarding. just do the above 5-10 times daily, keep pushing your bottom while keeping your feet flat, and you'll be okay.
2. if you don't have the above problem, the next step is to shove your knees out. like, OUT. pretend you're squeezing the floor between your feet together. if necessary, use your elbows to help. your knees should be able to track over your feet without causing much, if any, discomfort in your knee. if you can't do this or you're experiencing a lot of pain holding this then this could be what's causing your discomfort. that's another stretch to practice.

since you mention it's been years since you got on a snowboard, this came to my mind when other people's solutions didn't help. your flexibility may have flat-out changed. you'll be surprised how much it really helps and it's something many people ignore.

let me know if it works and where you live. i'll fly in for the beer you'll owe me :yahoo:

#13 · (Edited)
interesting...I just tried that (I think I did it right) and it doesn't seem to be a problem...but who knows if i'm doing it right? I am definitely not very flexible in general...something that I will work on for sure. It was actually more difficult to do because of balance.

I'm not quite sure how to do #2 properly. I think it did it but again...just not sure if it's correct. Can you link me to a photo of what it should look like?

Much appreciated! (PS like mentioned before....i haven't actually been out on snow with my new board yet...just around my living room trying to get comfortable)

#12 ·
this might seem obvious but when you're trying all these different stances, are you standing straight up or with your knees bent as if youre riding? theres a major difference in the way your knees will feel in relation to the angles based on whether youre standing tall or bending your knees

#15 · (Edited)
certainly: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/w...knees-should-not-be-doing-during-a-squat1.png

you should be able to look like that first one without too much discomfort. your hips should ideally go lower until they disappear behind the knees, but you're not lifting weights so whatever (i weight train, so i'm a stickler for good form :giggle:). again, feet should be flat. if you're having trouble getting your knees there yourself, you can bend over clasping your hands under your chin and use your elbows to shove them out.

trouble with balance in this situation is usually also caused by a lack of flexibility (you're not stretchy enough, basically). but i don't want to turn this into a physical education thread, so just do your best; you're certainly not going to be in a full squat position while you're on the mountain anyway. and yes, i'd make it a point to work on flexibility. i don't know your age or your background, but you WILL thank yourself a lot when you're older.

try that, and also as eastside said about going on the mountain and give it a shot. personally, i never noticed a huge difference strapping on my carpet vs. slope-side, but if it doesn't kill you, why not?

#22 ·
Some of the higher end bindings nowadays, have an angled footbed, known as a cant. They come in different heights & angles.

The painful feeling you're having isn't unique to you, many people get it.

Do what I suggested, cut out a piece of foam & put it under your boot, on top of your binding.

This is just what we did to address the problem 20 years ago, before bindings had cants.

Here is someone else's DIY cants, this method just takes a bit longer & is a bit more technical.
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bindings/43184-cant-pad-diyer.html

Cutting a little triangle & sticking it there is just the fastest way to get er done.

How about just amuse me, & stick something under there. You don't have to glue it or even stick it there. Just put it there, step on it & do your bindings up.

Pretty please, right fuckin' now.

TT

#24 ·
just tried it. it helps a bit definitely but i tried it again without it and i think it's just something I need to get use to. right now my angles are +20/-10. this feels pretty good besides getting use to the knee thing. Also, bending my knees low also helps

#23 ·
Hmm, that's odd. Is the pain really kinda above your knee? If so you're not fit enough. Suck it up and you'll toughen up. I don't know your age if you're under 18 you could most likely be having growing pains. I didn't snowboard when I was younger, but playing roller hockey used to kill my knees. As for binding positioning, You shouldn't go over 30 with both bindings combined. I keep my front foot usually somewhere from 5-15 and my back 0-5 or keep both sides the same if you plan to ride switch but don't go over 30. If your front foot is 15 than your back shouldn't exceed 15. You shouldn't really have issues just try to set a position and get used to it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.