Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Steep chutes, blacks, double blacks. Question regarding technique.
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
IdahoFreshies
Land of the Potato

As far as the video goes its about the right way to get down, and I dont know the terrain and what the conditions were like, but it looked like a lot of arm flailing and every time he went to slow down he basically skidded to a stop and switched edges. I would have tried to keep more speed by having less of an edge angle and making more turns quicker so I could keep the speed under control without needing to pump the edge up so much im shaking and hoping down the run snowplowing skidding to a stop. Also when you get into steep and tight shit it is pretty impossible to do the traditional gas pedal turn initiation method as you would on a controlled run, just because it takes too dam long. Riding like that involves being very dynamic, as most good riders are. That involves controlled counter rotation movements with the upper body, lots of weight shifting, using that back foot to get the board around if you need to, and crossing under turns especially when its tight and narrow.

As far as literally jumping from heel to toe and vice versa to turn, I find myself doing that every now and then when I am riding steeper terrain but that is mainly because I am playing around and adding in steeze points haha. Or if its a big open area with nice soft snow for predictable edge control. But if its really technical or tight riding you want that turn to be your speed control, and literally jumping edge to edge won't give you that brake check like a full edge turn will. I dont usually jump edge to edge, its more of a faster skidded turn with a whole lot of flexing and extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
do they even make chaps with asses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
I think they call them pants
IdahoFreshies is offline   Reply With Quote