Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - How much will really old gear hurt me?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 05:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
ziggy13

Default How much will really old gear hurt me?

I'm short on money right now so I got old board/bindings/boots off craigslist for the cost of less than 2 days rental. At the time of purchase, I thought I may only be able to get up to board 3 more times and wanted to save money over 3 days' rental costs, but things have changed since and I will be hopefully going more often. However, I'm starting to regret my cheap purchase. This equipment is seriously old. I put the board (Sims Access 160 - too long but usable) and bindings (metal Sims PosiLinks) around 2000 and the boots (Forum Team) at maybe 2003-2005? The boots were unused and feel fine but the board/bindings are quite well-used and scratched up, though there aren't any core shots or anything (just chips on the top, metal edge is still fine). The bindings can be hard to undo.

I haven't used the gear yet but I guess I'm wondering if I should even try or if I should upgrade to newer stuff ASAP? I don't want to feel discouraged/hurt by using junk gear but I am also quite budget conscious right now. I will have funds to do a decent upgrade in a season or two but money is tight this year.

Background: female, 6', 135-140lbs, size 9.5-10 men's feet, advanced beginner/low intermediate, generally stick to groomed runs but hoping to expand this season.

If I absolutely should switch up gear, any budget-friendly recommendations? I've spotted a used 2011 DC MLF 154 for $90 and a used 2007 Burton Clash 157 with Ride LX bindings + a bag for $130. Are these decent options (will PM the ad if anyone wants to take a quick look for me)? What about a new 2011/2012 Rossignol Circuit Amptek 155?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ziggy13; 01-01-2013 at 03:39 PM.
ziggy13 is offline   Reply With Quote