Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Riding in a group

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Cr0_Reps_Smit 
#1 ·
I was at Seymour yesterday for an overall mediocre day of shredding (fog and snowcrete everywhere but Brockton). About mid-day I came off the chair and ended up getting stuck behind a group of 5 snowboarders. I normally don't like being behind groups, but this bunch moved along pretty fast so I ended up just following them for a while.

Anyway in that one run I learned a new technique on side hits. Also they tended to take different lines than I do, which was very interesting. I've just realized how much of a rut I've gotten into just riding by myself.

I know we've had threads before about whether you prefer riding alone or in groups. But for those of you who prefer to ride alone, have you occasionally ridden in groups? And do you find that it ups your game in some way?

I think I'm going to have to either work harder on connecting up with some of the local members or start stalking random groups from the top of the runs.

#2 · (Edited)
I love riding in groups. Amongst other things, there's always people around to talk me into doing something that I normally wouldn't (and then laugh when I don't complete said jump/line). Best way I've found to get better/constantly push my self.

Edit: and by groups I mean 4-5 (including me) tops.

#5 ·
Your so right about the rut thing, been riding big white for like 13 years and find myself doing the same 5 runs all the time.
The group thing sucks if your constantly waiting for others, but fun if your trying to keep up and push your self.

#7 ·
Even on my tiny home hill I'm always watching other groups to see the lines they take and to find any new side hits. It's just habit from many years at skateparks where a new line can completely change a session.

#8 ·
I used to play soccer at a pretty high level, still play a little jut for fun.

I know from experience playing with people who are better than you will help you improve as long as the gap is not too great. You improve automatically.

Same with snowboarding, sadly the flip side is that playing with people at a lower level will lower your game.

I prefer riding alone and sometimes with maybe 1 or 2 buddies who are a little better than me.

#9 ·
Riding with those who won't hold you up is fun. Getting stuck behind a bad group or when your friends decide to bring new really out of shape people to the hill can completely ruin your day.

Maybe I just lack the patience when I want to just keep progressing/enjoying myself, but I don't pay for a season pass to sit my ass in the snow.

#10 ·
I'm with most others on this, I like doing both. Freeriding wise I tend to lead the pack with my friends, but some of them are much more ballsy when it comes to freestyle stuff. This is great since it pushes me to try new things - and then I'll take them down stuff they wouldn't normally try. Win-win situation.

Once in a while though I do love riding by myself. I don't have to worry about taking people into sketchy stuff, and can do a little more exploring at my own pace. Today I had a blast just searching out powder stashes, finding little rock/stump kickers and blasting music.

If you can manage it, lifties are awesome to ride with. I talked with one who was off for the day on the bus, rode the lift with him and ended up just riding the rest of the day together. Another time on a really slow day I got to ride with a pack of lifties and do a couple epic out-of-bounds runs. Just gotta be able to keep up :thumbsup:

#13 ·
I usually ride alone unless I run into friends on the mountain. I find you can learn a lot faster riding solo if you have a set trick/technique you're focused on learning on that day.

That said, I still like riding with friends from time to time.

It's nice to have a group vibe and it can help give you that push you need, especially in the park when you're all tackling the same obstacles together.

If I end up riding with housemates who aren't as experienced, I'll just use it as a chance to work on my switch technique.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.