Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Splitboards?

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  GnarlyBro 
#1 ·
What do you think of split boards? and can you ride them like skis if you do both and feel like skiing half the day and riding the other half?

#2 ·
no, they don't work like that. you only have sidecut on one side of the ski when they're in ski mode, the heels don't lock down to the board in ski mode, and the pin system that the binding hinges on in ski mode isn't designed for telemark skiing - your toes would smash into the board and eventually the pins would break.

we use climbing skins on them when they're skis to get grip to go uphill and on the flat and downhill you do get some glide even with the skins on - even on short 30ft sections of downhill its really hard to have a lot of control in snowboard boots and bindings even with skins on to slow you down.... without skins on would be sketchy as fuck for me at least.

splitboards are awesome tools tho and work great at what they're designed for: skis on the up, board on the down.

#7 ·
I don't see how. If you had a sidecut on the inside edge, it would ride all kinds of fucked up. The binding issue would be pretty tough too.

I don't see why you'd want such a thing to be honest. Buy skis for skiing and boards for riding. Splitboards only split for the hike up. There's no intention for them to be used as skis on the downhill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.