Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - How much truth is there to this gun story?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
chomps1211
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by readimag View Post
...there are lots of stories out there of people saving people with guns but that stuff does not sell in the news fear and panic do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpedoVegas View Post
Are you kidding...the news loves hero stories as much as they love tragedy...

There are no hero stories about saving people with guns because they just don't happen...vigilantes are not heros..
Normally I wouldn't post in this sort of (...discussion?) thread. Mostly because they tend to get very heated, often to the point of personal attacks, and generally don't seem to accomplish much more than get everyone involved pissed off! (...I am NOT anti-gun, I do believe in "reasonable" gun laws even if I'm not etirely sure what "reasonable would be! I do like to shoot, military trained & not a half bad shot either!! but I do not own or carry a gun myself! And for the record, I do not claim have any answers on this issue! Just opinions, and we ALL know about "Opinions!" don't we?) I don't believe Mine smell any better!

However, I thought that both of these comments raised an interesting point! Considering states like Texas, Alaska, and some others, have very (...liberal?) open carry laws,.. I can't recall a single news report of someone (...private individual mind you, not off duty police, armed security, etc.) stopping some nut job or criminal bent on killing people by using a gun they happened to be legally carrying!!!

I suspect many will chime in with the ever popular,.. "Liberal Media," but what about "Fair & Balanced" Fox News?? Hell, the NRA even,!! Seems they'd want to be all over something like that!!

Still, I can't recall a single story!! Recent Past or present! Can anyone point to something I maybe missed on this?? (...I do remember one or two reports of "Un-armed" individuals taking down a gunman,.. The guy shooting an AK @ the White House springs to mind first!) IDK,.. maybe there is a " media conspiracy?" Seems like we would have, should have heard of this occurring at least once or twice at some point, especially in those so called "Gun States" I mentioned earlier, right?!!!

What do you think?

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15

Last edited by chomps1211; 01-01-2013 at 10:51 AM.