Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - How much truth is there to this gun story?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
IndraRipper

Haven't posted here in a while so may be jumping in the deep end with this post but here goes....
This is not a personal thing but I really hate it when people (Usually right wing Americans) use the UK as an "example" when thy have no idea about things over here and are quick to say out systems don't work or are heavily flawed.
I have seen it done in regards to gun laws and to national health care.
They always tend to pick very particular and rare cases.
The UK and the USA are extremely different, therefore what works for one won't necessarily work for the other.
I believe our gun laws are pretty much perfect right now and need not be changed (yet).
The UK is a smaller and far more densely populated place than the USA, very few people have need for "long guns" as they're only really used for hunting and sport shooting.
The majority of our criminals do not poses firearms and therefore our residents generally do not need self defence weapons like hand guns.
The vast majority of shootings over here happen with completely illegal guns.
Most guns on the streets of London (The largest city and where I live) are illegal imports from eastern Europe, although you can get Glocks and the gangsta favourite the Mac 10s and 11s.