Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Board recommendations for old man! Demo search??
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
kevin2

Default Board recommendations for old man! Demo search??

Hello! Hoping you all can confirm some of my research I've been doing in the last month.

If anyone is from Michigan & they can direct me towards a shop that does demos OR a resort, then that would be great too. I missed the demo day at Crystal mt by one day on our vacation, bummed me out! Not having any luck finding a good demo sourse. I'm in the Metro Detroit area & board in the Boyne upper michigan area.

Weight 185 JUST me!
Height 5'10"
Boot size wear a 10/10.5 shoe, most likely I'll buy a 10.5/11 boot-I've found a bit larger boot helps keep my foot warmer.
Riding style we board in Michigan, so riding groomed & icy hills is 99% of the year
Age 48-still in great shape-P90X for 4 years running & 11 years of constant working out
budget I'm hoping to get last years models to save some cash
Location of riding Michigan

I started out riding back in the mid 80s. No bindings on first board & my last board was a 1989 Burton Cruise. Road it for several years in Michigan and out west, only to stop skiing & boarding when my kids arrived in the mid 90s. Took the kids skiing a few years ago & just rented some skis. Was amazed at the advancement in tech with skis, tore up all the hills. I know that the boards have come even further, so I'm excited to get a great new board to ride. My kids started switching to boarding last season & now everyone is boarding. So, I bought everyone boards this year & I thought it was time to stop renting for myself too.

I'd say I'm a intermediate boarder. No park stuff, maybe the odd jump AFTER being baited by my teenagers! I just want something that will allow me to advance & that will allow me to control my turns on groomed hills & ice.

I've read and researched till I'm blue in the gills. Having owned a couple Burtons, I was set on staying with them. However, after some research, it seems that there is other great technogies that might be as good or better for me.

Length- was thinking 159-162
Rocker or Hybrid??

The GNU Carbon Credit was a consideration.

The LIB TECH SKATE BANANA, which has some of the same tech as the GNU

Burton Blunt

Those are few of the boards I was considering. FIgure there are dozens more that would fit me & figured you all could recommend some of those.

I'll be honest, I've done very little research on boots and bindings. Seems the strap in/clicker bindings give the most support & will likely go with that. Boots? No idea!

thanks for any help...Kevin

Last edited by kevin2; 01-01-2013 at 01:34 PM.
kevin2 is offline   Reply With Quote