Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Correctly Sizing a Never Summer Proto CTX
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
You know a lot better than to trust a generic snowboard length calculator .
But generalizations are what I do best! I have to stick to what I know!!! lol

Ultimately I don't think it'll make a big difference either way between the 155 and 158. Some people may get wigged out by a larger number and "feel" like the board is vastly different than what it is.

I know the opposite happened for me recently. I bought a board with nearly identical specs to my old board in terms of overall length, waist width, and tip and tail width, amount of camber, etc. Therefore I expected it to "feel" like my old board under my feet. What I was ignoring was a much larger sidecut radius and effective edge, which made me feel like I had been riding a harley and now I was on a sportbike. Felt completely different.

In contrast, when I went from a 153 freestyle board, to a stiffer, longer 159 board it should have felt very different, but it didn't. Because the sidecut radius and effective edge were similar.

Next time Burton has a demo day at one of my local mountains I'm going to see if I can get the Custom or Custom X in two sizes, and go out and try them back to back. I honestly don't think there will be much of a difference between two close sizes.

Happy riding all!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote