Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Correctly Sizing a Never Summer Proto CTX
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
BassmanRuchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
You know a lot better than to trust a generic snowboard length calculator .

While in general I agree that someone 185 lbs would probably be on a 160ish board, but that's a generalization (that also reflect my personal preference for longer boards). When it gets to specifics, I think he should trust his instincts (he's been riding enough to know his own preferences ... subconsciously at least).

In my opinion, length matters less than construction... if he really wants a board that is more freeride/carve oriented... he need a board that is stiffer and more damp than the Proto (I own a 2012 Proto 154 myself, so I'm not bagging on it... but I know what it designed for an what it can do). Something like an SL or Cobra if you are going to stick with a Never Summer board (I own a 2009 SL 155, haven't tried the Cobra yet).
I have thought about getting the Legacy (the wide version of the SL), but the only thing holding me back is that it's a directional twin...the only reason that I would like a true twin is because I don't want to have to change my stance or form when switching from regular to goofy.

I would say that I'm definitely more of a carver than a park guy, but I still like to hit the park a couple times and bust out a grab or two. My instinct is telling me to go with the 158, but I just want to be sure that it can still handle being put through a couple of park laps each time it goes out.
BassmanRuchy is offline   Reply With Quote