Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Correctly Sizing a Never Summer Proto CTX
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
BassmanRuchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
But generalizations are what I do best! I have to stick to what I know!!! lol

Ultimately I don't think it'll make a big difference either way between the 155 and 158. Some people may get wigged out by a larger number and "feel" like the board is vastly different than what it is.

I know the opposite happened for me recently. I bought a board with nearly identical specs to my old board in terms of overall length, waist width, and tip and tail width, amount of camber, etc. Therefore I expected it to "feel" like my old board under my feet. What I was ignoring was a much larger sidecut radius and effective edge, which made me feel like I had been riding a harley and now I was on a sportbike. Felt completely different.

In contrast, when I went from a 153 freestyle board, to a stiffer, longer 159 board it should have felt very different, but it didn't. Because the sidecut radius and effective edge were similar.

Next time Burton has a demo day at one of my local mountains I'm going to see if I can get the Custom or Custom X in two sizes, and go out and try them back to back. I honestly don't think there will be much of a difference between two close sizes.

Happy riding all!
True...I guess that I should just pull up the specs for my Youngblood and see how both the 155 and 158 match up against it.

The biggest thing that is going against me getting the 158 is that I don't know if it'll be very maneuverable in the park. Honestly I don't ride park very much (probably one to three laps per day) but I still would like something that's playful enough to go in and take some hits off of the kickers. Likewise with the 155, I just haven't ridden it enough to know if it can handle very high speeds and some nice carves.
BassmanRuchy is offline   Reply With Quote