Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Shovel and probe choices..?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Slush Puppie

I've been doing a bit more research, the Kodiak looks pretty awesome too if you want the pick axe function. Though I'm still with my original choice.

It's amazing how many design features you can fit into a shovel (and how important some of them seem to be).

The G3 AviTech was tempting me briefly. But the Beast is easier to source where I am and seems comparable in a few key ways and a solid choice.

Probe wise, I havent found any option recommended more frequently (by europeans) than the Ortovox. I also haven't seen any carbon probes for sale locally of 3+m but most will take a 40mm or 60mm extension piece. So going to stick with that option too and probably get the 40mm extension. Seems a sensible compromise of all the considerations raised.

I'm still not much closer to choosing a pack though. Have any of you used the Ortovox Freeride? Free Rider 18 Snowsafe : Avalanche safety products and Backcountry equipment
Or the Dakine Heli pro?
Thoughts, other suggestions?
Needs to be small low profile and light (but with completely internal shovel storage.)

Also considering airbag options.

It's something I think I could ideally do with trying on before buying but I don't want to risk waiting until I get to the resort because I don't know what the visibility situation is like
Slush Puppie is offline   Reply With Quote