Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Moving out to California
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
mixie
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra0 View Post

mammoth, on the other hand, is one of the best resorts on earth. Tons of real snow, frequent knee deep+ pow days, kick ass/wide open glades, everything. Haven't been there in a while, but wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of the snow guns entirely early december.

the other good thing about mammoth is its really not a major destination resort. The airport is very small and runs very limited flights. It's 5 hours away from any major city with a major airport (LAX, SFO). Actually Reno isn't that far but anyone flying into Reno is going to ski at Tahoe. Ive talked to a lot of people on the gondi (hell, I talk to anyone) and the ones Ive met from out of state say they love mammoth because it's less crowded then any of the CO/UT or Tahoe resorts.

The other benefit it people in SoCal HATE the cold and forget about skiing much past Feb. They move on to summer sports when it warms up even tho they keep the lifts spinning until the snow is gone or the mountain bikers start to protest.

Ive had powder days in April and May and been the only one on the mountain, even on weekends. The spring riding is fucking amazing on a good snow year. That's how I got hooked on snowboarding, I had time off work and rented a sleazy motel room for the month of May. Rode every single day for a month and had the mountain pretty much to myself minus the locals and retirees. I should have never left One of these days Im just not going to go home. I swear.

Last edited by mixie; 01-05-2013 at 06:55 PM.
mixie is offline   Reply With Quote