Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Yikes! Be Careful Out There...
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
walove
Veteran Member

went out today, got to use the sled to get into some new terrain. rode some fun lines in the trees. we have had warmer temps in higher elevation with the inversion that has set in with the high pressure, along with wind has created some funky variable snow on top. within 100 feet you would go from boot deep blower, sun cooked new snow, to firm wind buffed, to breakable crust with 8in of super light snow. dug two pits and found really well bonded snow, expect the top layer. Avy danger around bozeman is low, but it is going to get really interesting with the next snowfall.

While riding a ski cut would cause the breakable crust to break and propagate on steeper terrain. i still dont feel totally comfortable with ski cuts in a bc situation, i tend to avoid terrain where one would create any results, leaving me questioning my technique, especially about where an appropriate safe spot is on the down hill side of the cut. With my lack of ski cutting knowledge stated. i feel that the skiier in the hourglass video would benefited from a more defensive approach to the line.

Last edited by walove; 01-05-2013 at 06:12 PM.
walove is offline   Reply With Quote