Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Moving out to California
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Deimus85

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixie View Post
What resorts do you ride now? Tht might help us some. I have a feeling you're gonna want to skip the so cal resorts and stick to mammoth. Or take up surfing.

Mammoth is nice today. About to take a beacon search class with esac
I ride JFBB, Blue Mountain, Bear Creek, Shawnee and Camelback all in PA. I also ride Vermont once a year at least (Stratton, Sugarbush, Okemo, Smuggler's Notch). I have ridden at Windham and Hunter in NY, and Jiminy Peak in MA.

I am going to say that I have ridden MAYBE 5 true powder days in my lifetime that I can remember. I am mostly used to packed "Pocono Powder" (man-made icy granular slush). So man-made snow doesn't bother me. In fact, I always say that I would rather ride once a week on what some would consider "garbage" snow, than once a year on a sick powder covered mountain. I am not one of those people who complain about first world problems like snow conditions.

And haha surfing, no thanks. My first cinematic experience was Jaws, and I only wade into the ocean haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra0 View Post
"mtn. high and bear are good to go" - lol

you won't be doing much riding through the woods in socal. The jetstream rarely bring snow storms down that far, so expect fake snow and ice...heavy traffic, crowds, etc. You will be hanging out in the park all day...because that's basically all those resorts are. The one thing they do have is sun.

mammoth, on the other hand, is one of the best resorts on earth. Tons of real snow, frequent knee deep+ pow days, kick ass/wide open glades, everything. Haven't been there in a while, but wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of the snow guns entirely early december.
Don't mind the park, and I am totally stoked to ride Mammoth. Seems like it is SoCal's version of Vermont for New Jerseyans, but times ten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthefence View Post
You want Bear/summit over Mt High for sure... They satisfy all the needs you listed, to an extent. Mt High you will find lacking and I'd avoid it completely in Your case. Never been to Mammoth so I can't say how it compares
Thanks for the heads up on Mt. High. I wouldn't mind checking it out at least once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
There is no comparison. Mammoth is in a different class than bear/summit.
Completely worth it
Yea, again, like what we have out here when we compare the Poconos to Vermont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixie View Post
the other good thing about mammoth is its really not a major destination resort. The airport is very small and runs very limited flights. It's 5 hours away from any major city with a major airport (LAX, SFO). Actually Reno isn't that far but anyone flying into Reno is going to ski at Tahoe. Ive talked to a lot of people on the gondi (hell, I talk to anyone) and the ones Ive met from out of state say they love mammoth because it's less crowded then any of the CO/UT or Tahoe resorts.

The other benefit it people in SoCal HATE the cold and forget about skiing much past Feb. They move on to summer sports when it warms up even tho they keep the lifts spinning until the snow is gone or the mountain bikers start to protest.

Ive had powder days in April and May and been the only one on the mountain, even on weekends. The spring riding is fucking amazing on a good snow year. That's how I got hooked on snowboarding, I had time off work and rented a sleazy motel room for the month of May. Rode every single day for a month and had the mountain pretty much to myself minus the locals and retirees. I should have never left One of these days Im just not going to go home. I swear.
This helps a lot. I can't wait to get pow runs in April....
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote