Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Skiing over Snowboarding
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #28 (permalink)
Toecutter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t21 View Post
just wondering, as we know "snowboarding is harder to learn bur easier to master, and skiing is easier to learn but harder to master." i've skied/skiboard for a few years(7) and what part of skiing is harder to master? carving edge to edge? moguls? skiings pivot turns is like our dynamic skidded turns. their edge to edge turns is like our cross under turns in about the similar fashion(snake like turns). must be mogul, but i think snowboard is harder to master in this aspect, facing sideways and manuevering on moguls is a different tecnique to learn than just face forward and point down with a more narrower skis to just run over in between troughs. soooo which one is harder to master?
I think the biggest challenge with skiing has to do with getting your lower extremities to act in a coordinated manner. If your feet and legs are not coordinated, the skis do different things and you lose control. Those of us who have been skiing awhile can do it subconsciously, so it seems like not too big of a deal, however if you look at the beginner slope you can see people's feet doing all kinds of weird things.

In the past, it was also very difficult to get the skis to float in powder because the skis were relatively narrow and cambered. It took a lot of refined technique to be able to ski powder worth a damn, but with today's modern rockered fat skis, floating in deep powder is pretty easy.

I think moguls are challenging whether on skis or snowboard.
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote