Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Need A Balaclava

19K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  SAddiction 
#1 ·
I am looking for a Balaclava not a Bandana or facemask. I mainly want a really breathable one that doesn't freeze and allows me to breath very heavily. But I don't want a big hole like Airhole face masks, I just want a plain Balaclava that breaths well and doesn't freeze or on with a really thin layer around the mouth. The two closest things I have now is this On Sale Red Ninja Clava Facemask Black - Mens 2011 Facemasks Bandanas Banditos Gators Clothing Accessories re8ninbk11 and this On Sale Volcom Shred Facemask Black - Mens 2012 Facemasks Bandanas Banditos Gators Clothing Accessories vo8shrbk12

Just help me out a little.

#3 ·
That was the other option too. I just don't know how breathable it is, and if it fogs your goggles up. Do you know either of those, cause if it doesn't fog and is breathable then I'm for sure getting that.

#4 ·
#5 ·
The best way to avoid fogging up your goggles is either to get a balaclava that doesn't go under your goggles, or to make sure that the balaclava has holes in the nose/mouth area for breathing.

The UA mask is good for warmer weather (~22ºF and above), but will freeze up on you and get stiff in colder weather. In my opinion, the stretchy neoprene balaclavas are best. They can get a bit warm, though.

#6 ·
That is my main concern, I just want something like the UA that is breathable and doesn't fog up. But I can't find any normal Balaclava with little wholes by the mouth. That would be ideal.

#20 ·
I'm rocking the UA ninja mask 2.0, doesn't fog my goggles even while under them (although, my goggles are fucking awesome, so many it would fog my electrics or smiths). It keeps me warm in super low temps, hasn't frozen at all unlike the 1.0, which even still, rarely froze. I'm a big fan. My only complaint is it should be a few inches longer.. but my jacket does perfectly fine protecting what it doesn't.

#24 ·
balaclavas, tie ups, standard, facemasks, snowboarding

So what do people prefer to wear to keep their heads warm? Us personally we wear Balaclavas, the light weight kind. there are a number of other types that most people have said about in here like:
  1. tie-ups
  2. facemasks
  3. balaclavas
  4. scarfs
  5. tubes

What are the benefits and disadvantages to each? People have discussed fogging up googles from Balaclavas, tie-ups that freeze etc

#29 · (Edited)
So what do people prefer to wear to keep their heads warm? Us personally we wear Balaclavas, the light weight kind. there are a number of other types that most people have said about in here like:
  1. tie-ups
  2. facemasks
  3. balaclavas
  4. scarfs
  5. tubes

What are the benefits and disadvantages to each? People have discussed fogging up googles from Balaclavas, tie-ups that freeze etc
My newest and most favorite item. When it's warm I just wear it under my helmet, it's so versatile, you can cover it in snow, take it in the lodge and after a beer its dry again (ok maybe not in the PNW, but here in CO hehe). I want to get like 4 more of these mofos. Merino just owns.

Merino keeps you cool when you are warm but a thin layer keeps you plenty warm when its cold. The only downside is the $$/durability, which is why I want 4, because the performance can not be matched.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.