Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The best waterproofing stuff?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  arrrmaty 
#1 ·
Hoping someone has found a product that is the be all end all of waterproofing. I have tried the nik wax wash in stuff and some random spray on stuff, both were good for few weeks maybe, but I'm hoping there is a longer term solution.

#7 ·
Yea buy some gore type products all wash in or spray on will have the same effect in the end. Short of you putting plastic bags under your coat and pants there is not some magic spray. Other wise no one would buy the 400 dollar coat if I can get a can of unicorn piss for 20.

#9 ·
How to Maintain Your Waterproof Gear

Most waterproof garments have what is called DWR or (Durable Water Repellency). This prevents water absorbtion while maintaining breathability. In order for the DWR to work correctly it needs to be clean. Before you try waterproofing or re-waterproofing your gear you need to make sure that your gear is cleaned properly, remvoving dust, dirt, grease and anything else you may have gotten on it.

There are several brands of detergent that are designed to do this without leaving any detergent or chemical residue. Examples would be Sport Wash or Nikwax Tech Wash. Be sure to clean the detergent dispenser before washing with the special detergent so that the regular detergent won't mess up your DWR by leaving a residue. Wash only 1 or 2 articles of gear at a time and follow the instructions with regards to how much special detergent for each garment. Then make sure it gets an extra rinse or two in the cycle so that there is no residue left behind on the garment. The wash will help clean

After your gear is properly cleaned, THEN proceed to waterproof your gear with something like Nikwax TX. Direct Wash-In or Spray On which will leave a DWR treatment on the fibers of your clothes allowing them to be waterproof and breathable again. Follow the directions for whatever product you use. Let your gear air-dry or dry on low to medium heat if the caretag says you can.

Make sure to regularly clean your gear for optimum performance. Stay dry my friends

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.