Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Newbie needing setup advice (boards, boards and MORE boards!)
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Varza

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Newbie needing setup advice (boards, boards and MORE boards!)

Hi everyone!

As the lengthy threat title says, I've been almost drowning in the multitude of options available these days. First, a little about me:

I am female, 5'6" and 140 lbs. I ride skateboards goofy and it seems to have transferred over to snowboarding. I just started out during Christmas week by taking three days of lessons. It was the best thing I could have done. In 3 days, I only properly faceplanted... twice. Impressive record, no? But seriously, I am working on improving my turn linking and I have a dumb tendency to catch edges, which I would like to lose.

I've been doing some research, as I would like to get my own gear as soon as possible. But that won't be until around spring this year, I am on a tiny student budget and thus waiting for the sales is a requirement for me.

Some boards I've been looking at (and drooling over):

GNU B-Nice 148
Ride Compact 147 or 150 - this one has no weight specs on their site and when I checked evo... the weight limits on it seem to be extremely low.
K2 Sky Lite 148 - not sure I want a completely flat base
Burton Social 147 - not quite as good reviews as the others. I dunno...

A local shop still has a K2 Lunatique on sale. Not sure of the size though. Worth jumping on?

I've seen the GNU B-Street recommended on here. It looks good, but I think it's almost out of my price range. If it's really amazing and totally worth it, I might pony up. I've also looked into Never Summer, but they are a tad on the pricey side and might be a bit stiff for a nooblord like me. Or should I just look for a pure cambered board? Suggestions?

Basically, I would like a twin (or near twin) board, as I looove riding switch and would like to learn spins and butters soon. For the moment I enjoy just going down the slope at a comfortable pace (no, I won't race you), but I think I would like to try some park at some point (jumps mainly, they look like tons of fun). I'd like a board that will work for me as a beginner but that I can stay with for a while - again, due to budget concerns.

I know about extruded vs. sintered (will the difference really affect me?), and about the different board profiles. I read my brains out on the internet

Bindings - I am completely lost here. What are some good binding companies/models? I looked at stuff like Burton Stilettos, GNU B-True and Union Flite and they all seem like they would work equally well for me. Those and more! What am I missing?

Boots - I know, I know: the most important piece of gear I plan to go to the local stores and try a bunch on until I find something I like. My guess is they will be on the softer side.

That's it! Sorry for boring you with such a long post!

Last edited by Varza; 01-07-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Added closing statement