Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Board help?
Thread: Board help?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
hktrdr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrmaty View Post
Yes, you need a wide board.
That is probably correct. Most of the rest is inaccurate.

Quote:
Wide boards are recommended for size boots 10 and up (depending on the brand of boot- some are more bulky than others), especially with a board shorter than a 157.
No, wide boards are (very) generally recommended for foot sizes of 12 (not 10) and above. Bulkiness of the boot is not really important for anything but pow - what matters is foot size.

Quote:
I'm 5'10, 180lbs with a size 10 boot and I ride one board that's a 152W and a 157 regular. They both have the same waist width at 252mm, and that's the lowest width that I can go before I start noticing the toe and heel drag.
Waist width is pretty meaningless without taking into consideration sidecut radius, stance width, etc. What matters is the width of the board at the binding/foot positions. Read wired's excellent explanation that has been posted several times (e.g., here (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...tml#post533183)).

Quote:
You'll notice a huge change in your ability to turn once most of your toe and heel drag is gone when you ride a wide board.
Very few people actually experience real toe/heel drag - and then only in pow.

Quote:
A 156W sounds about the right size for you, but go to a shop and put some boots on and lay the different board sizes down and see which will fit your feet the best.
Agree that the 156W sounds about right. But board width measurement should be done with bare feet, not with boots on.

Quote:
A 156W will also be a good size to have some fun in the park. I see too many guys that are a little taller and have big feet who automatically think they need the longest board possible, but you should easily be able to ride something short in a wide. The boards you listed are good boards. I would also suggest a K2 Lifelike or Never Summer Revolover
Yup.

Last edited by hktrdr; 01-07-2013 at 11:24 PM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote