Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Flow Binding 2013 Q & A

170K views 573 replies 110 participants last post by  dexter 
#1 ·
Hi,

2013 will be our 18th year selling Flow, so this puts a big smile on my face. Minds will be blown this year. The new line is so full of tech and options that I thought a Q & A might be in order. This year almost everything in the binding line has been reworked from the ground up. The Flow team has been torture testing variation after variation of these new designs for two years and has finally put their stamp of approval on the final product. Fire away if you have any Q's. We will be sure to get you quick answers.

See less See more
#302 ·
Just bought a Lib Tech T.rice pro, and am now struggeling to decide wich bindings to get for them. I have always loved my flows (even though they were just cheap flow trilogies). I'll be mostly doing groomers, backcountry and tree runs, but would still like to be able to take my board into the park as well (I know it's not optimal for that, but I only do it for maybe half a day each trip). I Was always edging towards the NX2-AT's, but feel they would be too stiff for even the small amount of park I would like to do. Are the SE's really not up to point as people here make them out to be? What flow binding would you recommend for me? I was also considering just bying some Union forces, seeing as they are cheaper, and if I really got annoyed with them and wanted to go back to flows, I could just sell them after without too much of a loss (compared to the flows). What do you guys think?

#303 ·
Hi Kilroy,

Stiffness: All of the NX2 bindings are very similar in terms of primary flex (the base, heelcup, lower 2/3 of highback are identical on all 4 NX2 models). Only the top 1/3 of the highback and the strap changes between models. The top highback panel in the RS is carbon and is obviously stiffer than the others. The top panels in the other 3 are different but this is a very subtle change to notice when riding. We are talking about variations in the top 2.5 inches of the highback.

STOKED!

#304 ·
Need recommendation

Hello, I have recently started riding again. I have an old setup, switch stepins and vans boots. I'm a freerider who likes to play in the trees and bomb down runs. About 9 or 10 years ago I bought flow setup, top of the line at the time(can't remember though). I lasted 1 run down the hill, I couldn't handle the shin pain. I would like to try another flow set up, any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

#309 ·
Did flow find my post here?

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bindings/36646-2005-k2-cinch-ride-contraband.html

I wonder if Flow found my K2 Ride Cinch Contraband Frankenstein Binding on this forum. I asked for a one buckle rear entry binding on this site and it pops up a year and a half later. The toe stap in this binding isn't really used I just carry it as a spare just in case one of the y straps break.

I think I'll be able to retire my 9 year old binding with Flow's new offering and get a canted footbed.

The part that concerns me is that people aren't able to kick in on the first try, which is why I've used K2 over the Flows in the past. I've sold my wife's flow and gone over to the Cinch Tryst just for that problem. I can't wait to try out her boots in these new bindings.

Attachments

#310 ·
I had my first outing on my NX2-AT last night and all I can say is, FANTASTIC! So much easier to kick-in, and I was literally kicking-in right off the lift while still moving and down the mountain. Had multiple people going "What are those?!" as I go riding by while they were sitting. The wife was a little jealous, so it looks liek the Prima's might be in her future.

Piece of advice for making kicking in easy, make sure the highback is completely extended down. If its up a little bit, the strap wont be fully extended and makes it tougher to kick-in.

#314 ·

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHWTHrnqFl8&feature=youtu.be

I made a video of the problem with the ratchets I'm having. It is about every 2-3 times I strap in I have to adjust the straps because the ratchets slipped. Considering my home hill is 310ft tall I strap in a lot. It's really annoying buying $300 Flows and having to check your straps every time you strap up. I was really stoked for these new ratchets since I had a really bad experience with being stuck in powder while at Keystone last year on my NXT's. Now I'm thinking of frankensteining my NXT straps on to my NX2 chassis.

#322 ·
I sent a message to Flow using their warranty form Friday morning and haven't heard back from them yet.

Also after riding Saturday and having to constantly check and adjust my binding I looked into putting my NXT straps on the NX2 chassis. I think it can work but the stock screws are too long.

#318 ·
#321 · (Edited)
They are set at their largest. You can make them a little smaller by sliding the highback forward if you untighten the screws (you can also pull the front out a bit if necessary). Make sure your boot is centered on the binding a bit more. I'm not an expert on how the binding is supposed to fit, but seems like it would be ok then though...

Edit: Hmmm, on the other pic it appears they are set to the smallest, did you change them after the first picture or are the two sides set differently?

#323 ·
I called Flow directly and they sent my parts that same day. You may want to try this avenue. Have you gone to a local shop to look at another pair of NX2's to see if everything is identical. Maybe like you said they threw the wrong ladders on yours but at least you can physically go and compare your bindings and another pair.
That is what I would do.

#328 ·
I geass i just dont stomp down on top of my strap..... i dont have this problem 30 days on at style and 15 on se style... i have not noticed this problem at all... i am trying to figure out a resolution to the toe strap drop issue.... it doesn't bother me enough to bring my board in my condo yet though.

#329 ·
weird thing i noticed and i'm wondering if anyone else has noticed it:

ever so often i step into my bindings (NX2-GT) and notice that the toe strap looks loose, meaning the webbing is not on my boot at all. i usually crank it down and pay no attention to it. the ratchet is still locked, but i'd say every other run i have to tighten it a few cranks. i'm not sure if this is just due to the fact that the toe strap is moving oh-so-slightly every time i jam my foot in there...i'll pay attention this weekend but was wondering if anyone has the same issue.

#331 ·
you most definitely can adjust the highbacks on flows to match the board edge... i had last years orange m9 se's and this current m9 se and both were adjustable. Do it the same way you would on any binding, loosen up the highback screws and turn the highback to the position you want, then tighten.

#336 ·
Hey, I spent the weekend trying to adjust my NX2-AT size medium to my Nitro Team Size 8 boots. I am new to actually using FLOW bindings so bear with me if I missed something obvious.

So I had what I assume is the standard problem of adjusting the power cuff such that it was easy to step into the binding... but still was some what attached to my boot when riding. It seemed if I were to adjust the binding and rachets on each side of the toe and ankle strap so there were just snug... then kicking my foot in enough so my boot heel was clear of the lowered highback was very difficult. I ended up just loosening the powercuff a bunch of clicks on the rachet side so I could step in easier, flip up the highback and then racheting down the cuff until it just barely touched my boot. This kind of worked although it wasn't ideal. Also the highback was still being crushed into the back of my boot (I could feel my achilles tendon being pinched through my boot and my whole foot was being push forward... such that my toes felt crushed into the front of my boot by the end of the day).

My only thoughts were maybe I need to either exchange for a size Large (Medium was sizes 6-8 and Large was size 8-10) or... I need to leave the power cuff loose on entry and assume that my boot will eventually slide forward into it after riding a few minutes???).

Any help would be appreciated... let me know if you want photos/video

#342 ·
I figured a video would be even better than photos. Sorry for the delay, I took an extra day to wait until I had time to shoot during the day when there was better lighting. The video has two video sequences of my trying various ankle/toe strap adjustment, I made the second sequence after reviewing the first and realizing the the boot might not slide forward enough if the toestrap is too tight.

Here is the photo of the the strap setting on the other side.

Does this look about right? Do you think I should exchange for pair of large bindings (I don't know, but it seems like Nitro Teams are a bit bulkier for a size 8 boot).

Thanks!

#337 ·
Lonerider - I had a similar situation and I am pretty sure the large will work better for you.

I initially picked up large nx2-ats and got some new boots at the same time. Whiskey TRice DC double Boas size 8.5. I tried those but never really gave them a chance and thought I cold get away with Mediums. So I went ahead and ordered the same nx2-ats in medium. The mediums were very responsive but too tight and gave me pressure points both on the toe and achilles.

So I went back to Large and also got my K2 T1 DBs size 8.5 repaired and they are a much better fit. Boa anchor was rivited back in.

I think the DC Rice Status boots have a smaller footprint and could be close but hoping they work in the Large if I give it another chance but haven't yet tried.

Only other suggestion is the obvious of making sure you have the binding and foot bed on the correct foot. With the canting and directional highback, its an awkward feel if they are on backwards as I accidentally did this during a rush intall once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.