Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Vail & Park City
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
hikeswithdogs
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchMan View Post
What kind of terrain do you like to ride?

Utah has 14 resorts, 11 of which are within 30-45 minutes of downtown Salt Lake City/Park City.

Park City is known for it's park riding and town, it's very touristy, lot's of amenities. You have PCMR and The Canyons and Deer Valley (No Snowboarding Allowed) - All three resorts average about ~350 inches of snow per season. They are very mellow in terrain, as in not very steep.

Just one canyon over you have Big Cottonwood Canyon and Little Cottonwood Canyon.

Big Cottonwood has Brighton Resort as well as Solitude Resort.
- Both resorts average ~500 inches of snow.
- They are known for their powder, trees, chutes, cliffs and all around great terrain.
- They also have very mellow terrain for beginners and intermediate riders
- They are not known for their amenities though, they are pure ski/snowboard resorts,
the terrain and massive snowfall is what drives people to ride here.

Little Cottonwood Canyon has Snowbird and Alta (No Snowboarding Allowed at Alta)

-Snowbird is known for it's steep natural terrain
-Massive snowfall and powder days
-It's more crowded than BCC
-It has a tram
-It has better amenities than BCC
-It has something for everyone

You also have Snowbasin and Powder Mountain which are both about an hour drive north of SLC.

I highly recommend getting out of Park City for at least a couple days and experience 'real' snowboarding. The Cottonwood canyons is surrounded by big steep over-powering mountains, unlike Park City which is in the north valley which is more like rolling hills. Most Utah locals do not prefer to ride Park City and prefer the surrounding mountains. Not to make Park City sound bad, it is still better than A LOT of mountains, but if you're into serious riding - natural terrain, powder etc. BCC/LCC is what you want. If you're into cruising groomers, park riding such as jumps, rails etc. The Canyons and Park City Mountain Resort is what you want.

You can't really go wrong in Utah.

Agreed with everything said above, Park City a great place to eat\party but the real riding in Utah is in Little\Big Cottonwood Canyons just 30 or so minutes away followed up by Powder Mountain and Snowbasin in Ogden about an hour away from Park City.

Also cheap Snowcat rides and inbounds backcountry(called Powder Country) at Powder Mountain should NOT be missed on ANY trip to Utah.

Hit me up if your planning to ride Brighton and I'll be happy to show you around if conditions are right and I can get time off of work.

Here's a link to my video @ Brighton on December 27th if your interested
brightonblower jenkins - YouTube

Last edited by hikeswithdogs; 01-08-2013 at 09:32 AM.
hikeswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote