Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Lib Tech riders I need some Help!

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Bleedblue666 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm looking to buy my first lib tech board .
I'm still in the beginner stage of riding...so I'm thinking
About getting a skate banana 156
I'm 5 foot 9
180 lbs
Size 10 boot
Not really into park
Mainly just freeride
Would this be a good start ? Right size ? Or should I look at a different lib tech board?
Any input would be great !

#3 · (Edited)
I'm not dead set on lib tech ...just one of the only brands my local shop carries... I live in st.louis MO so my places of riding are limited and small lots of hardpacked/ice
I go riding 3 times a week ...I do everything but park...
I work mostly on my carving and freeride the most ! Not quite ready for tricks !

#4 ·
If you don't spend time in the park and you're more into freeride I'd look at the TRS series maybe in a 157. It's maybe a little aggressive for a beginner compared to the Skate Banana but the C2 is very forgiving and those boards are more of a mid flex, so not too stiff. I wouldn't want a full banana rocker board if you ride a lot of hardpack/ice. If you ride on hardpack and ice you'll love the Magnatraction on the Lib boards.

#8 ·
I second Torpedo's opinion. It's hard to go wrong with a TRS for what you plan on using it for. I think you will very happy as a board you go grow with. It might be more a question of your current skill level and how quickly you want to progress. If you get the Skate Banana now, you might feel like you want a different board next season for more 'all mountain' riding, but it's personal preference.

My son has the Skate Banana and he uses it as a freeride all mountain board. We do a fair amount of side country riding going into and out of lift and shuttle served back country areas in all conditions and I am very impressed with the Skate Banana. He is easily the fastest and most aggressive rider in his group and the board does very well on ice and hard pack - especially considering it's negative camber profile.

If you are more on the beginner side of the spectrum I think the Skate Banana will help you progress more quickly than going with the TRS will. the 'pure banana' rocker profile helps people progress very quickly.

However, if you are more in the intermediate skill range, I think you will be happier with a TRS (or perhaps an Attack Banana) long term. The TRS's flex and camber profile might be just a little less playful and beginner friendly than the Skate is which depending on your skill level and progression could be an positive or negative trait.

You may not know which you prefer until you get some more days behind you on the hill - but I think you will happy with either a TRS or a Skate Banana. It just depends on what you want to use it for and your preferences, skill level and how fast you want to progress vs. how soon you (might) feel like you want to replace the board.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Not really into park
Mainly just freeride
Any input would be great !
where do you ride?

a skate banana is not a freeride board....perhaps it is the shitty...est freeride board possilbe

for freeride you want a c2btx or a cambered deck....but imo the main factor between the c2btx and cam is the terrain and amount of pow and the condition of the snow.

edit....just saw ur in st louie.....nevermind....perhaps a 66 chevy impala with lowride air hydraulics

#9 ·
You can always order online... Dogfunk.com: Snowboards | Skateboards | Snowboard Gear & Clothing | Burton, DC, Volcom & More Brands

I would go with a 157 TRS. I've seen some really nice carving done on a TRS, and the magnetraction is perfect for hardpack and ice. It has C2 hybrid camber profile which has rocker in-between the bindings and camber outside. I really enjoy riding this profile, and I will probably never go back to a full camber or full rocker deck. It is perfect for the hardpack rider that may see powder every once and awhile. That board is stiff enough for carving nice lines but has a nice bit of flex to make is an all mountain shred machine. Jumps especially, but boxes/rails as well.

Go for it if you want to support your local shop. If they are not worthy of support, then pick it up online.

#16 ·
I've heard that the Vitas are pretty close to the '13 Cartels (a bit more flexible than past years) so I would just toss the Vitas on the TRS. I think that would be a very nice combo as well. When I spoke to Burton Rider Services twice early in the season, both people confirmed that the Vitas were more stiff, the Cartels were in the middle and the Genesis were the most flexy of those three options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.