Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Steep chutes, blacks, double blacks. Question regarding technique.
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRider View Post
So I had some steeps to practice with last week, and although I struggled at times, I tried maintaining somewhat of an edge, before having to stop uphill and do an 180, and repeat.
Good show! It does take a lot out of you, so nothing wrong with doing some good turns, then taking a break to catch your breath. Better than sideslipping the whole way down...

I've been on runs similar to that at Kicking Horse, and steeper ones at Fernie. You obviously can't ride them as you would something with a 25-30 degree slope unless there's been a MASSIVE powder dump.

There's one run at Fernie that has a very narrow entrance (similar to what wrathfuldeity posted) but after about a 30 ft 45 deg chute it opens up REAL wide and mellows to probably 35-40 degrees for several hundred feet. That's the only place I've ever comfortably "carved" on such a steep slope... I bought a helmet cam again so I'll have to get some videos of some of the bowl entrances I keep talking about on here!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote