Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Board Type: Basic Intermediate Rider
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
KIRKRIDER
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by predtldrider View Post
Hello! First post;

Iím just hoping for a little direction on the type of new snowboard to get. I am 46 years old physically fit 5í11Ē about 195 size 10.5 shoes. I snow-skied for about 20 years and have boarded for about 5 plus (Iíll never ski again, love boarding). 7 to 10 full days on the slopes is a pretty good year for me though I always try for more. I rented for several years and since the past couple years now own a 1999 Burton Custom 64 with Flow bindings which I bought as a prior rental board and consider myself a competent but basic intermediate all-mountain rider. I ride in Nor Cal in the Sierraís primarily; Boreal, Donner Ski Ranch, Soda Springs, Tahoe-Donner, Sugar Bowl, and Mt Rose. I predominantly ride the groomed runs from single diamond to blues (avoid double blacks) and particularly enjoy several inches of fresh powder atop a groomed run. I run at moderate speed, and hit the parks every so often for the smaller jumps and occasionally try the features (usually not very well) though I am truly just a visitor in the park. I do plan to expand my park abilities ever so slightly but I have no interest in becoming a freestyle rider. Iím not looking to develop my abilities exponentially other than to simply improve with time and possibly consider slightly deeper powder (though I donít ever see myself much off the established runs) I am primarily interested in a comfortable set-up yet have no interest in a ďbeginnerĒ board. My plan is to get a new set-up (board, boots and bindings) knowing it may probably be my last and likely be with me for the next 15 plus years I plan to continue this sport. I will probably go for another Flow type of binding as I truly enjoy the easy in feature.

I am comfortable and happy with my current board (which I understand is a traditional camber board) and currently donít worry about catching an edge and would like to keep it that way. Iíve learned of the hybrid boards and am considering one though I have more to learn about them and am not interested in a board that is unstable at speeds. My research so far seems to indicate that my type of riding may be best suited for another camber board though I have no reservations switching to another type if Iím convinced it would be suitable. So, I would greatly appreciate any direction on the type/types of board I should consider, and subsequently appropriate model/models. Also, if a camber board such as the Custom would be a consideration what more/different could I expect from a current model compared to my 1999?

I have searched the forum and learned alot and plan to continue, though I've found the majority of the posts lean towards a brand or model of board and I'm just hoping for some clearer direction on a type first (camber, hybrid camber, hybrid rocker, etc) then building from there.

I know there's a lot of information here and I appreciate any advice and direction available. Thanks very much in advance.

Your riding sounds similar to mine..before powder. I absolutely LOVE my Arbor A-Frame. a camber board that is the closest thing to an alpine one with soft boots, but agile and able to ride powder too. Amazing for carving. And my new JJ Hovercraft. Rocker, camber rocker. SO easy, so floaty in the powder, so big and yet so agile. Love both in different days. Both under a pair of K2 Cinch CTX (rear entry) bindings. Check the reviews for both here:

http://thegoodride
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote