Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Raiden Phantom or ?

9K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Juzzs8 
#1 ·
Hey
I havnt bought a decent pair of binding for a while so need a little help.
I recently ordered a Flow Drifter and was thinking of getting some phantoms to go with it. I will ride mostly mountain, love pow, doing freestyle stuff all over the mountain, laying down carves and and say 30% park. Looking for something to compliment the drifter that is nice and padded (phantom) as i have a bad knee from to much surfing. Or would i be best of with a canted binding like the rome 390 boss?
Others i was looking at were the flux tt30 and k2 formula.
Or is it worth spending a little extra and grabbing some Cartels?? I really want a binding that will last this time as my last ones only survived a few months.
Thanks

#2 ·
Dont know if this helps but I have last years cartels, solid binding, but longevity wise there not so good... lol all the stitching is breaking. that is from over 50 days of riding but still don't know how much longer the structural integrity will last XD.

I also have bad knees and tbh I think auto cant doesn't work at all, but I know canted bindings like Ride do work, and phantoms are canted so it should be good

I can tell you my next binding will be phantoms though from what iv heard they was a extra high, highback, im very interested in that.

#6 ·
Any reason formulas over the phantoms? Quick search shows i could get both at similar price (2012 models). Formulas being canted sounds like it would be good for my bad knee but i havnt tried canted bindings yet? So might be worth a try. It was the padding in the phantoms which got me interested because its the impacts that effect my knee. Can anyone tell me how the formulas compare in this regard?
Love the look of amplid stuff but its hard to get hold of at a good price like the other options im looking at.
Thanks

#15 ·
Hey again
Had my mind set on formula's but cant find any my size at a good price. But have found some companies. Can anyone tell me how they compare? I also have found some blackhawks and 390 bosses at around the same price! Any better than the other? Or i could save $80 and get some phantoms? Any help would be great. What would you pick and why?

#17 ·
Blackhawks are a little softer then the phantoms and have canting
Thanks. I thought the phantoms were more freestyle and would be softer than the blackhawks? Im keen to try canted binding but am still tempted by the phantoms. Having a hard time deciding as i can get the phantoms cheaper than the others. Can anyone comment on the k2 company bindings ?

#19 ·
That totally trips me out, as bsercka post says softer while the quote says stiffer (yes I know it was edited).

Blackhawks are considered a stiffer binding but I found them softer than the 390 boss. That's just my own experience.

I'm still shocked at how stiff/responsive the 390 Bosses are. The blackhawks are nice. Canting, comfortable and not terribly stiff. I paired it up with a Coda.

I wish it had airbags because I really want to try them out but the Blackhawks were a good binding. Great ratchets too. My favorite so far.

#20 ·
I haven't ridden the blackhawks but i have owned the boss's and own the phantoms now and i can't believe the 390's are stiffer than the blackhawks. To me the 390's are waaaaay softer than the phantoms, like a shit load softer. I switched the 390's after 2 days for the targas (which are similar to phantoms but a tad stiffer).

#21 ·
Yeah if the phantoms were canted i would jump strait on them. The airbags sound great but are they as durable as the eva padding? Leaning towards the blackhawks at the moment as i want to try canted bindings. How will the blackhawks go in the park. I love pipe and kickers but have also started having fun on the easy boxes.
Thanks all!

#23 ·
Yeah thats actually the only thing i don't like about my Phantoms, i wish they were canted like my Targas. They are however an awesome binding and although i don't have a huge amount of days on them i cant see the airbags being unreliable. I weigh 265lbs and they seem to support my weight just fine.

Honestly couldn't comment on the blackhawks in the park, sorry.

#28 ·
Canter?

Hey, just wondering what the canter is? I tried to order Blackhawks last year but could only get phantoms. So ended with phantoms. My girlfriend just got Blackhawks today, and I can't seem to see a real big difference in them apart from the air bags on the phantoms. I have really bad knees and by sound of it Canter could be a good thing!

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.