Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Official Michigan Winter Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #2589 (permalink)
chomps1211
Not quite reformed yet

Hey Sabatoa!!

Sounds like you had a blast! Great revue of the place!! You still got Highlands planned for the weekend??

PK was pretty good last night. I guess all the posts I've read about DIY waxing being pretty simple & hard to "F" up were right,.. (...your advice too!) I was certain I did a pretty crappy job waxing that Rome GR board, but Man!!,.. It rode great!! It was WAY faster than it was out of the box with the factory wax! I'll do my Arbor next!!

I wanted to let you guys know that the last 1.5 hour or so of the night, on a little lip feature that got formed near the top of Quicksilver, I managed to get a little air!!! (...that might not be the correct term for what I was doing! Got ragged on last year for calling my little ollies, "Air!")

I was getting a Little air now mind you!! Riders were using this feature to "Pop" off & get some 3-5 ft. high Ollies using it, and since it was on a pretty mellow part of the slope, I thought I'd see if I could get over my mental block over even trying to lift off!

Well I hit this feature at least a dozen times or more before closing,.. 1st 2-3 I just rode over it, letting whatever speed I had do the job of getting me off the ground. Those never got me more than a couple inches off the ground but,.. I was keeping my balance & successfully riding out through the choppy stuff bellow it, so I kept going back to hit it with more & more speed.

...last 3-4 times I hit it fast enough to get a good foot or two of height!! I only fell once!! ...and when I did fall, rather than wait 5 min. to ride to the bottom, get back up the lift. I unstrapped & climbed back to the start to hit it again right away! Stuck It the 2nd time!!!

They closed the Quicksilver down about 15 min. before close so I went over to the black run & it had a small pile of chop near the top of it so I hit it too! I stuck that one as well!! Unfortunately, they closed that run too before I could get back up to try it again!

I was pretty surprised & definitely STOKED at how well I did considering I've been sorta freaked to try again after getting "Accidentally" airborne & cratering last year!!! I sure hope I don't lose "It",.. or my nerve to keep trying this once the Jan. thaw leaves!!! It felt pretty cool!! I'd like to try and get more dynamic than just "popping" next time,.. see if I can use ollies to get a bit more height!!!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
chomps1211 is online now   Reply With Quote