Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - NYT Article on Tunnel Creek Avalanche
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
wrathfuldeity
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
Yeah, I noticed that. Bad form for sure, but at that point, I am not really going to critique people who had to deal with such a horrible situation.
A couple weeks ago in my 2 day avy class we spent some time...most everybody had read/seen the article and general consensus was that it is a required read. We did critique (not the article) some their actions/decisions or the lack thereof; to which one of the take away main parts is that of human/individual/group behavior. Our instructors felt that learning about avy terrain, snow conditions and metamorphosis , weather, route finding is relatively easy and straight forward; but that human behavior and group behavior/dynamics...communication, decision making and etc. is the more difficult factor in avy awareness.

edit...in someways I really hate to note this because it is against my nature and better judgement...because protocols do not address everything and can be too heavily relied upon as a crutch/excuse for good judgement and instincts. But it would be nice to see a checklist and a demonstration of recommended protocol say at the bc gate, during the approach, when dropping the line and when evaluating the bc mission. You know examples of positive behavior instead of critiquing examples of bad behavior/accidents.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 01-09-2013 at 09:53 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote